The Wormser Dom dates back to about the year 1200. Worms is famous for a particular Diet wherein Martin Luthar refused to recant his beliefs espoused via the 95 theses and was thus declared a heretic. In concluding his testimony at the Diet, Luthar is quoted as saying:
"Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. May God help me. Amen."
| Someone's are buried in the basement of the church. |
| We really enjoyed the Romanesque architecture of the Cathedral at Worms. |
| I love the purse hangers above these kneelers. |
Next door to the church is the Bishops Courtyard, where, more specifically the Diet would have taken place.
And to conclude Worms, a lovely picture of fall in Germany!
Diet? I'm assuming by the context it's not food related...
ReplyDeleteGreat question! A Diet is another word for "Assembly". Basically its like the House of Representatives or the Senate. So in context, a Diet is where a bunch of ruling church members get together and discuss and decide on issues. The Diet of Worms in particular refers to where the Catholic church leaders met in Worms and decided Luther was a heretic. This happened a bit after he nailed his thesis' to the church door.
Deletehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Diet_(Holy_Roman_Empire)